Saturday, July 4, 2009

Mono 2.4 Adventures

I ended up writing a shell script (mostly copy pasting from this blogpost containing building instructions) that wgets and compiles Mono 2.4 including MonoDevelop.

I added it to the github repository (tools/get-and-build-mono.sh).

Turns out that using checkinstall instead of the classic 'make install' is a big mistake, as it creates debs and exposes my shiny new Mono 2.4 to the whims of 'apt', which promptly overwrites it on the first update. I should probably learn more about the Debian package system and apt, but right now simply putting everything in /opt/mono-2.4 and recompiling when needed (the script hopefully can now run unattended) works well enough for me.

1 comment:

Alexey Diyan said...

Hi, I'm not sure but you can avoid problems with checkinstall.

Try to use another package name for checkinstall.

For instance you can use filename (without extension) of each tar.gz file as package name:

mono-2.4.2:
./configure --prefix=/opt/mono
make
sudo checkinstall -D --install --pkgname=mono-2.4.2 --nodoc -y make install